Revealed on April 22, 2022 at 7:00 PM
- Félix Noblia, 37, was a surfer in Bidart earlier than turning into a farmer. It was to punish him for his overly festive evenings that his mother and father despatched him each summer season to work together with his uncle on the farm… he bought a style for it!
- Love at first sight with the Blondes d’Aquitaine actually happened in the midst of winter, in 2008, when he studied agronomy after a brief interval in medication: “earlier than my first internship, I spent two weeks in unhealthy climate, alone on the helm of my uncle’s farm as a result of he was sick… I beloved it! Freedom, the outside, nature, the Basque Nation… happiness! »
- In 2017, he acquired the Agroecology Trophy from the Ministry of Agriculture. Despite the fact that, he laments, “nothing has modified”, agricultural coverage continues to be turned the wrong way up…
- Since Could 2020, Félix, father of two, mayor of his municipality of Bergouey Viellenave 120 inhabitants, on the border of Béarn.
- A documentary might be devoted to him in 2022.
5 cries of alarm
- “Keep in mind the well-known Fertile Crescent, between the Tigris and Euphrates? This place so wealthy, so plentiful, the cradle of our civilization? As we speak it’s a desert, in southern Iraq. As a result of by plowing, overexploitation of our lands, we’ve impoverished them. They’re useless, with out earthworms, with out micro organism, with out all these tiny residing organisms that enrich them, aerate them, make them useful to our vegetation. In 1945 they contained 5% natural matter, in the present day it’s barely 1.5. Crops germinate and die. Our soil is in grave hazard. The degradation of our planet’s soil is a completely ignored ecological catastrophe. »
- With international warming, soil degradation will worsen: “for each further diploma of warming, 10 to fifteen% of our meals manufacturing disappears… However we’re heading in direction of 3 levels, ie nearly 45% much less manufacturing. We’re susceptible to getting hungry. In France we aren’t self-sufficient in meals.”
- Each two days a farmer decides to finish his life. And 160,000 of our 390,000 farms will shut inside three years. Over-indebted, depending on assist from the CAP, the state of affairs of farmers is getting harder daily. For Félix Noblia we have to purchase inexpensive tractors, as we’re being pushed, and focus extra on brief circuits. “We must always all pay extra for our meals, too, by establishing meals stamps for individuals who want it. My beef, if I wished to dwell off it with out the assistance of the CAP, I must promote it for 40 euros per kilo! That is greater than thrice the common worth.
- “We’re too depending on oil: for our fertilizers, for our tractors, all our farming in the present day relies on it”. Whereas they alternate grazing and gardening, it’s the animals that present their droppings with pure fertilizer. Félix Noblia plans to return her noble letters to breeding, within the open, with respect for the animals.
- “Nothing is smart if the local weather battle is misplaced,” he retains repeating.
5 each day battles
All environmental associations affirm that it’s essential to grow to be vegetarian, not just for the respect of the animals, but in addition as a result of, to feed our cows, pigs and chickens, we import hundreds of thousands of tons of soybeans into France from deforestation in Brazil . Félix Noblia, he assures us that we should proceed to eat meat, however coming from open air, French farms, animals grazing and instantly tending the pastures, allow them to entice CO2. “Our grasslands are carbon sinks”!
Free vary breeding, on rotating plots. “Within the savannah, the animals graze as they transfer, the farmer-researcher recollects, and the soil regenerates after their passage, I do the identical with micro-plots of grassland, on which I rotate my herd. Because of this open-air life, his animals are nearly by no means sick.
The top of plowing. Since 2011, Félix Noblia has stopped plowing to sow straight beneath cowl… That’s? The underside is all the time lined, by no means naked, similar to in nature. On the time of sowing, it passes the tractor as soon as to chop the grass and sows straight into it. Grass clippings nourish the soil and seeds discover wealthy soil.
Regenerative agriculture: “We have to transform our agricultural coverage, remembers this agroecologist. With regenerative agriculture we will carry our soil again to life and retailer CO2. The answer is there, you simply want to use it. »
“As mayor, I am unable to do a lot, however with the opposite municipalities we unite to guard our nation towards overexploitation,” Félix rejoices. As a reminder, each seven years, the equal of a French division of land disappears beneath the concrete.
- On his farm, Félix Noblia has managed to diversify his actions: sunflower seeds, wheat… he’ll quickly host a bakery on his land!
- He additionally developed the brief circuits, so capital, in order that the farmers can dwell off their manufacturing.
- The 150 hectares of land are wealthy, retailer carbon and because of them it contributes to decreasing our greenhouse fuel emissions.
- He goes on to conferences throughout France and Europe to advertise agroecology: any such agriculture that makes it potential to advertise biodiversity, retailer carbon within the soil, not deplete our water assets and supply folks merchandise which are good for his or her well being.
- With a dozen passionate comrades, he has simply launched “Regeneration carbon is life”, a corporation to encourage farmers to start out regenerative farming.
5 suggestions for our earth
- Get nearer to farmers, native manufacturing, promote brief circuit.
- Plant bushes once more in all places, even in the midst of the fields. “Plant roots construction the soil, bushes condense air and let rain fall, they cool the ambiance and no soil needs to be naked. It burns them. »
- Do not be influenced: “Natural is excellent, but when which means driving the tractor ten occasions throughout the sphere to take away the weeds that you simply now not kill with glyphosate, then that may additionally kill the soil, as a result of the tractor the earth, crush or lower the earthworms… This could additionally come from very far, from international locations that don’t have our requirements. Some labels can cover very unhealthy merchandise. It is best to inform before you purchase. Natural continues to be one of the best label from an environmental perspective. »
- Cease plowing our land in all places, by no means flip the land over once more to depart the earthworms alone and take again nature’s rights.
- “Check, experiment, innovate”: Félix Noblia reminds us that to deal with nature, you could first get to realize it, perceive it. If solely by tending the underside of a mini window field in his window, it is already restoring biodiversity, and goes a great distance as a result of, as he says, “to make a distinction, each bowl counts.”